PDA

View Full Version : Conrad-Johnson HD3 USB DAC

turntable
09-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Gentlemen - Available now for those such inclined

Conrad-Johnson's new USB-only DAC, the HD USB3. While the digital portion was designed by Kevin Halverson of Muse, Johnson emphasized that their own designers spent quite a bit of time getting the analog part of the DAC just right. He likened the analog circuitry and its importance to final audio quality with the vital function a phono preamp plays in a vinyl playback chain.

http://www.conrad-johnson.jp/images/HD3_beauty.jpg

Rafale
09-25-2011, 06:23 AM
very nice ! Thanks Turntable

kfr01
09-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Looks nice. Is it Asynchronous? MSRP? Up to 24/192?

Rayooo
09-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I found the listing on Spearit, but can't seem to find anything more about it.
No mention on CJ web site... at least that I can find. ??

Rafale
09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Msrp 3000 $

wizard
09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Max sampling rate is 24/96.

I think HD3 uses the Tenor TE7022L adaptive receiver chip.

Puma Cat
09-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Max sampling rate is 24/96.

I think HD3 uses the Tenor TE7022L adaptive receiver chip.

Hi Wizard
I'm curious as to why Eric Halvorson would use an adaptive DAC chip when has used asynchronous DACs in his HRT Music Streamer designs.

wizard
09-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi Wizard
I'm curious as to why Eric Halvorson would use an adaptive DAC chip when has used asynchronous DACs in his HRT Music Streamer designs.

I was too fast there - asynch. of course - the designer is Kevin Halverson from HRT.
But the 24/96 sampling rate is correct ( I got it from CJ's Spanish importer)

Rafale
09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Guys i'm serious, Eric or Kevin ? :guitar:

kfr01
09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I was too fast there - asynch. of course - the designer is Kevin Halverson from HRT.
But the 24/96 sampling rate is correct ( I got it from CJ's Spanish importer)

24/96 is also a curious decision. Why not 192?

Puma Cat
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Guys i'm serious, Eric or Kevin ? :guitar:

Sorry, my bad, Kevin Halvorson, not Eric, I mis-spoke, or mis-typed.

PC aka Stephen.

Puma Cat
09-27-2011, 07:31 PM
192 is tough to do asynchronously right now...might not have met C-J price point for development costs.

cmalak
09-27-2011, 11:36 PM
192 is tough to do asynchronously right now...might not have met C-J price point for development costs.

Stephen...why do you say that doing up to 192Hz is tough to do via asynchronous USB at this price point? Many lower priced USB Dacs that can do it. Just curious as to the rationale. Thx

Rayooo
09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Stephen...why do you say that doing up to 192Hz is tough to do via asynchronous USB at this price point? Many lower priced USB Dacs that can do it. Just curious as to the rationale. Thx

I guess there could be some philosophical argument stating no-need for 192 and beyond..but on the other hand, it seems all or virtually all newer DACs these days support USB Asynchronous at 192 or even greater...right?????

My trusty W4S DAC-2 has done this for a year now, and I've got probably a dozen or so 192k flac albums. I'd hate to have to re-sample or re-sample on play via PC to adapt now to a 92k max DAC.

I must be missing something obvious here??? right???

rthomeint
10-07-2011, 08:59 PM
I had the HD3 for 3 days this week. All I can say is I'm buying one. The unit I used maybe has 150 hours on it so it's not fully burned in. I am currently using the Oppo BDP95. My preamp is the McCormack MAP1, amp Premier 11a,speakers Martin-Logan Electromotion ESL. The first I noticed was the bass extension seemed to go about 10 hertz lower. The soundstage was wider with greater front to back depth. Images were better layered within the soundstage. The top end was smoother yet more detailed than the Oppo. It also has that CJ midrange magic. My previous digital front end was an Arye D1 feeding a CJ DA2b. I also have a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic. The HD3 is the best digital sound I've heard in my system. Every CD I ripped or file that I downloaded sounded better than I've ever heard them.

Elberoth
10-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Any specs ?

Does it use tubes ? If so, how many ? Output stage only, or PSU as well ?

rthomeint
10-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Any specs ?

Does it use tubes ? If so, how many ? Output stage only, or PSU as well ?

No tubes, I talked to someone at CJ They are think about making a tube version. It has lot's of teflon caps, so if the decided to do an SE version the tube output stage might be the upgrade. It's a very simple to connect their is one USB input, an IEC power socket, left and right outputs and a power switch on the back. There is one slight difference on the front panel from the picture in this thread. There are three yellow LEDS indicators on says SD one say HD and I forgot what to other said. There are on the left side of the unit, there is a yellow LED on the right side for power.

Rafale
10-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Finally on the official c-j's website...
conrad-johnson designs inc. (http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/news-grand.html)

Rayooo
10-15-2011, 03:56 PM
'sure wish it did 192. :tears:

goone
11-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Anyone else have listen to the DAC?

goone
11-25-2011, 01:43 AM
rthomeint,
Have you ever run the oppo 95 digital out to the HD3 USB?
How is the sound compared to the analog from oppo itself?
thanks

joeinid
11-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Any photos of the back of the HD3 dac? From what I understand, it is supposed to sound wonderful.

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 12:55 PM
That's my understanding...those guys at HRT know what they're doing when it come to asynchronous USB. Speaking of HRT, I spoke with with Mike there this week. Super nice guy; had to arrange to send my MS Pro in to them for repair (:()it just stopped putting out sound for some unknown reason. They should have it by now.

I'm back to listening to my MSII for the time....agghhh! Twist my arm, not the MSII!!! ;)

joeinid
11-25-2011, 01:10 PM
(:()it just stopped putting out for some unknown reason.

I've had that problem, just not with audio gear :sigh:

Hmmmm, a tube version might be nice on the HD3. :music:

Puma Cat
11-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Might be, though C-J is mighty good at getting SS gear to have the qualities of tubes. You'll find that out if you snag a CA200. The HD3 might indeed sound as sweet as a tube version.

FWIW, Tim de Paravincini of EAR/Yoshino says he can design SS gear so that it is indistinguishable from tubes. His 324P phono stage is a good example of this. He says the only reason most of his gear is tube is because tubes sell better than SS!

joeinid
11-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Very interesting, thanks for the insight. I never knew that.

rthomeint
11-25-2011, 11:03 PM
rthomeint,
Have you ever run the oppo 95 digital out to the HD3 USB?
How is the sound compared to the analog from oppo itself?
thanks

The HD3 only has one USB B input. The Oppo doesn't output from it's USB ports it's only an input. The sound is much better on the HD3. The HD3 is more detailed yet smoother than the Oppo. The bass on the HD3 sound like it goes a full octave deeper. The soundstage has much better front to back layering and much better imaging. The highs have slightly better extension. Overall music is more 3 dimensional. The Oppo still sounds really good but the HD3 is on another level. For a long time I was using a CJ DA2b with a Genesis Digital Lens and An Arye D1x transport. Flac files on my Mac Mini and the HD3 blows this out of the water. I've got about 175 hours on mine and I don't think is full burned in yet.

rthomeint
11-25-2011, 11:07 PM
I've had that problem, just not with audio gear :sigh:

Hmmmm, a tube version might be nice on the HD3. :music:
When I got to CES in January I will ask if an SE is coming. If the do a tube version it would require a taller case.

goone
11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks, so the HD3 only had 1 input? and it is usb

Puma Cat
11-26-2011, 10:09 PM
The HD3 only has one USB B input. The Oppo doesn't output from it's USB ports it's only an input. The sound is much better on the HD3. The HD3 is more detailed yet smoother than the Oppo. The bass on the HD3 sound like it goes a full octave deeper. The soundstage has much better front to back layering and much better imaging. The highs have slightly better extension. Overall music is more 3 dimensional. The Oppo still sounds really good but the HD3 is on another level. For a long time I was using a CJ DA2b with a Genesis Digital Lens and An Arye D1x transport. Flac files on my Mac Mini and the HD3 blows this out of the water. I've got about 175 hours on mine and I don't think is full burned in yet.

Thanks for the impressions, they are most interesting; it sounds like a really nice DAC.

Rafale
01-06-2012, 08:16 PM
HD3 review by Alan Sircom in the latest issue of HIFI +
'in fact, what defines the HD3 is completely at odds with what most DACs aimed at computer audio try to do. We are possibly still in the early stages of the computer audio 'migration' and the first DACs to make the crossover often seem to highlight detail as if to show how exciting the format can be. Trouble is, many people want to be able to listen long-term rather to be temporarily awestruck by the detail. It's why to people keep coming back to vinyl in a thoroughly digital age. It's the secret sauce of the conrad-johnson DAC, too. It's not analogue-y sounding it doesn't make your PC sound like a record deck, but it does temper some of the bright and shiny sound of computer audio today.
This has two great advantages; it makes good music more enticing and it makes bad music more like good music. While there is good frequency extension at both ends of the scale, unlike many computer-derived sounds, the HD3 also remembers there's an awful lot in between called 'mid-band' and it does it extremely well, making an intrinsically 'right' sound in the process. So, when you listen to Al Green stepping to the mic, that seductive soul voice is irresistible and somehow leads you to Jeff Buckley, then to Bessie Smith and on to Rufus Wainwright. Mozart speaks to you in musical sentences. Wagner's leitmotifs are like little portraits and the Right of Spring makes you want to throw chairs. It's all good.
That honest, ye tonally rich midrange gives an openness and presence to almost everything it touches.
The DAC world is vastly overstocked and its numbers are growing fast. Sometimes it gets difficult to justify the existence of yet another converter. Fortunately, that's not a problem here; the HD3, by virtue of the sheer enjoyment it builds in the music it plays means it deserves very high recommendation'

Puma Cat
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Ooh, I'd love to have one.

I just got my Schiit Bifrost yesterday, we shall see how it does in the long term. The first hour it was dreadful, thin, bright and "relentless" sounding, but it's starting to smooth out with some hours on the clock. I've heard it really needs 100 hours to smooth out to it's best performance. Fortunately, I have 15 days to get it burned in before deciding one way or another.

Sounds like I'd looove an hd3, though.

ronenash
01-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi PC,
I would love to hear you imressions of the Schiit Bifrost. I am thinking of getting one also. Keep us posted.

Fand
01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi

Long time lurker, thought I would finally take the plunge and join.

I am now a happy owner of a CJ HD3, running it from a Mac Mini (2009 + Amarra) into a CJ CA200 and Martin Logan Aeon i's

I was previously running a Weiss DAC 2 which is was happy with, and its a great DAC.

However I took the HD3 home for an audition and within 5 minutes of hooking it up, I knew this piece of kit was pretty special.

Much more musical, seems to handle mid range so much better. I have had it about 10 days and I think I have listened to more music in that time than in the last 6 months.

The previously posted snipped of a review from HIFI+ is spot on.

As a first post I am trying to not sound too effusive but I am very pleased with it. The dealer mentioned I am probably the first owner in Australia :music:

joeinid
01-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Hi Fand,

Welcome! Please keep us updated on the dac. CJ makes some very nice gear.

:welcome2.::pg2:

chessman
01-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Fand, welcome aboard and congrats!! :wave:

Puma Cat
01-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Hi

I am now a happy owner of a CJ HD3, running it from a Mac Mini (2009 + Amarra) into a CJ CA200 and Martin Logan Aeon i's

I was previously running a Weiss DAC 2 which is was happy with, and its a great DAC.

However I took the HD3 home for an audition and within 5 minutes of hooking it up, I knew this piece of kit was pretty special.

Much more musical, seems to handle mid range so much better. I have had it about 10 days and I think I have listened to more music in that time than in the last 6 months.

As a first post I am trying to not sound too effusive but I am very pleased with it. The dealer mentioned I am probably the first owner in Australia :music:

Congrats and welcome to the family of AA members and Conrad-Johnson owners! Be warned that it's a pretty addicting experience and you may find yourself thinking about C-J preamps, amps, and phono stages!

Please keep us updated on your experiences as you're the first among us to own the HD3.

Jerome W
01-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Finally on the official c-j's website...
conrad-johnson designs inc. (http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/news-grand.html)

So Philippe : will you step in the digital world with this one ?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Rafale
01-28-2012, 10:43 AM
So Philippe : will you step in the digital world with this one ?

I'm too young for that stuff Jérome :D
i'm waiting for 2 big parcels from Fairfax, VA:music:

jwhite613
01-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Fand... Welcome To AA!!!

:welcome2.:

joeinid
01-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm waiting for 2 big parcels from Fairfax, VA:music:

:banana::banana:

Jerome W
01-28-2012, 04:55 PM
i'm waiting for 2 big parcels from Fairfax, VA:music:

What are those Philippe ?

rthomeint
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi

Congrats on your new purchase. I find I listen to more music then ever myself since I got one 3 months ago. How many hours do have on the unit? I found it took 250 - 300 hours of signal through if to fully burn in. I thought it would take about 100 hour to sound it's best, but at about the 165 hour mark the sound went very opaque then the right in the middle of a song it snapped right back in to focus. From that point I burned it in another 150 hours. I talk to CJ and asked about this and was to the HD3 has what they called "Teflonized polypropylene capacitors", that would explain the long break in time. What kind of usb cable are you using?

Rafale
01-28-2012, 05:52 PM
What are those Philippe ?

LP275M :thumbsup:

Fand
01-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the kind replies everyone. I certainly am happy with the purchase and do dream of a future CJ upgrades: GAT and Lp275 powering martin logan Summits aah to dream......

The HD3 probably has 60 -70 hours and i have noticed it is perhaps a tiny bit less transparent than when i first got it but i am well aware of the long break in journey required for Conrad Johnson products. Went through something very similar with my CA200.

I an using a nordost blue heaven usb cable which seems to do the trick

Rafale
01-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Hello Fand :wave::wave:
and keep us updated

Jerome W
01-29-2012, 12:07 PM
LP275M :thumbsup:

Big Congrats !!:banana:

Puma Cat
01-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the kind replies everyone. I certainly am happy with the purchase and do dream of a future CJ upgrades: GAT and Lp275 powering martin logan Summits aah to dream......

Well, we'd all love a GAT and LP275Ms, but you've already got a great C-J piece in that CA200.

Rafale
01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Big Congrats !!:banana:

thanks Jérome, J-2

ronenash
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Found this HD3 picture with back view and internals.
http://www.xycad.com/bbs/attachments/month_1201/12011713364943a48cdd9d9365.jpg

joeinid
02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks!

Looks very nice. :)

Fand
02-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Just a little update on my HD3 burn in journey.

After about 80 hours its starting to open up and imaging getting tighter.

Very nice indeed

Fand
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Burn in at approx 150 hours now. Had the HD3 running 24 hours a day for 3 days. Ok wow what a difference, soundstaging has tightened and resolution has increased quite considerably. Played a few of my favouite albums and heard little details in the mix which I have never heard before.

On Sunday a friend came over to listen to my system and to try out a Metrum Octave DAC and a C.A.P.S PC he built as described in Computer Audiophile. Well the Metrum Octave is a lovely DAC and sounds brilliant for the money, actually seemed very similar in character to my old Weiss DAC2. But the HD3 is a whole different level (also 3 times the price - to be fair)

The C.A.P.S PC was interesting and certainly cleaner as a source than my 2009 Mac Mini with Pure Music/Amarra. With the C.A.P.S I heard details in mixes couldnt hear with the Mac. However the Mac seemed to have a bigger lusher sound which I preferred.

However after the extra burn in, the HD3 with the Mac Mini now seems to be almost as detailed as with the C.A.P.S but still with that lusher sound I like. Cant beat that !!!

Hope I am not boring people with my carrying on...but I have never been so delighted with a hi fi purchase before. Its put my uprgadeitus on hold for a while except perhaps for better power supply for the Mac and the hope that CJ will one day offer an upgrade for the CA200 with teflon capacitors ( although I suspect there is no room in the case - those teflon caps are huge)

rthomeint
02-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Glad your enjoying your new toy. It will getter even better. Mine took between 300 and 400 hour to full burn in. Are your music files on the internal hard drive of the Mac Mini or external? IF you use an external is it USB or firewire. Sonically it make a difference.

Fand
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Glad your enjoying your new toy. It will getter even better. Mine took between 300 and 400 hour to full burn in. Are your music files on the internal hard drive of the Mac Mini or external? IF you use an external is it USB or firewire. Sonically it make a difference.

rthomeint

The files are stored in a bus powered USB drive. I am aware that ideally one should avoid usb storage if connection to DAC is also USB, its a relic of my DAC2 which was firewire. At the moment I am planning to get a firewire drive. However I am trying to determine whether a bus powered drive would be better than a drive with separate power supply, especially given that the digital section of the HD3 is powered by USB.

I will also experiment with NAS storage although previously I have found it inferior in sound to a drive directly connected to the Mac Mini

rthomeint
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I am currently using a Drobo-fs for storage. I found that gave me the best sound. I usb and firewire, both sounded inferior, but I used standard usb and firewire cables when connecting external drives. I have an Audioquest carbon firewire cable on order then i will give my firewire firewire drive another listen and I going to buy a Audioquest Coffee Usb cable to replace to carbon I have now.

Fand
02-08-2012, 12:14 AM
rthomeint

It would.be.interesting to.see if there is any.diffence due to quality of USB and firewire cables. My understanding isthat any gains would be limited at best as data transfer is by packets and does not involve timing issues

Puma Cat
02-08-2012, 12:29 AM
rthomeint

The files are stored in a bus powered USB drive. I am aware that ideally one should avoid usb storage if connection to DAC is also USB, its a relic of my DAC2 which was firewire. At the moment I am planning to get a firewire drive. However I am trying to determine whether a bus powered drive would be better than a drive with separate power supply, especially given that the digital section of the HD3 is powered by USB.

I will also experiment with NAS storage although previously I have found it inferior in sound to a drive directly connected to the Mac Mini

When using a USB DAC, you should keep your music files on an external Firewire drive; that's the best setup.

ronenash
02-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Hope I am not boring people with my carrying on...but I have never been so delighted with a hi fi purchase before. Its put my uprgadeitus on hold for a while except perhaps for better power supply for the Mac and the hope that CJ will one day offer an upgrade for the CA200 with teflon capacitors ( although I suspect there is no room in the case - those teflon caps are huge)

Definitly not boring. Please keep updating. Looks like I am going to have to get me an HD3 :yes:
Too bad it does not have more inputs.

rthomeint
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
rthomeint

It would.be.interesting to.see if there is any.diffence due to quality of USB and firewire cables. My understanding isthat any gains would be limited at best as data transfer is by packets and does not involve timing issues

Fand

I hear the difference between USB cables, I was skeptical until I brought an Audioquest cable home and tried it. At CES Audioquest had an experiment set up to allow you to listen to compare USB cables. I listened to their Carbon and Diamond cables, the diamond was better, I just don't know if I want spend $549.00 on a USB cable. When I get an Audioquest firewire cable I will compare the two. I plan on wiring my home network with fiber optics, I will be curious to see if there's an audible difference.

Fand
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Fand

I hear the difference between USB cables, I was skeptical until I brought an Audioquest cable home and tried it. At CES Audioquest had an experiment set up to allow you to listen to compare USB cables. I listened to their Carbon and Diamond cables, the diamond was better, I just don't know if I want spend $549.00 on a USB cable. When I get an Audioquest firewire cable I will compare the two. I plan on wiring my home network with fiber optics, I will be curious to see if there's an audible difference.

Have you tried the nordost blue heaven USB cable, its what i'm using between the Mac and the HD3. Not sure about the US price but i paid roughly half what the Diamond is going for and i'm very happy with it.

Fibre optics wow that would be truly future proofing and would be interesting to see if that does make a difference. Fwiw a friend has quite a hi end system who stores his music on a network and swears that using Cat6 network cable sounds much better than Cat5.

Goes to show that everything can make a difference i guess

sleepysurf
02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
...Too bad it does not have more inputs.

I emailed C-J inquiring if they had any plans to offer it with S/PDIF and Toslink inputs. Unfortunately, they never responded. If anybody knows, please share. Otherwise I'll call Ed when I have a chance.

If they DO plan on offering other inputs, I might hold off on my plans to get the Modwright SS and digital input mods for my Oppo BDP-95, which will allow me to use it as an outboard DAC with my Squeezebox Touch.

rthomeint
02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
It's funny how same paradigms of analog cables seem true of computer cables. I might give that Nordost cable a try also.I thought about trying cat6 as well, maybe I will buy a reel and test it. The other thing I plan is to upgrade my electrical service when I do that I may try some hight quality 12 gauge wire in place of the standard romex.

goone
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Spoke to Ed earlier regarding HD3 with S/PDIF in future there is no plan,
That why I went another route

sleepysurf
02-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Spoke to Ed earlier regarding HD3 with S/PDIF in future there is no plan,
That why I went another route

Just curious. What "route" did you take?

Audioseduction
02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Welcome aboard sleepysurf! :thumbsup:

joeinid
03-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Burn in at approx 150 hours now. Had the HD3 running 24 hours a day for 3 days. Ok wow what a difference, soundstaging has tightened and resolution has increased quite considerably. Played a few of my favouite albums and heard little details in the mix which I have never heard before.

On Sunday a friend came over to listen to my system and to try out a Metrum Octave DAC and a C.A.P.S PC he built as described in Computer Audiophile. Well the Metrum Octave is a lovely DAC and sounds brilliant for the money, actually seemed very similar in character to my old Weiss DAC2. But the HD3 is a whole different level (also 3 times the price - to be fair)

The C.A.P.S PC was interesting and certainly cleaner as a source than my 2009 Mac Mini with Pure Music/Amarra. With the C.A.P.S I heard details in mixes couldnt hear with the Mac. However the Mac seemed to have a bigger lusher sound which I preferred.

However after the extra burn in, the HD3 with the Mac Mini now seems to be almost as detailed as with the C.A.P.S but still with that lusher sound I like. Cant beat that !!!

Hi FAND,

Any updates on the CJ DAC?

Fand
03-16-2012, 06:22 AM
Last few weeks have been an interesting musical journey. after about 300 hours the system was actually beginning to sound just a tiny bit bright for me. Very very resolving but just bit too much upper mid and high frequency emphasis. I as you can imagine I was beginning to be somewhat concerned. As an experiment I replaced my Nordost blue heaven USB cable with a silver sonic USB ....Problem solved, i was worried it was the DAC

In summary, I seem to prefer warmer sounding system and the Nordost was a bit too forward once it was fully burnt in. Pity, it sounded great before that.

As an aside, I borrowed a pair of spectral mh-770 ultra linear speaker cables. I know they were specially designed for spectral amps but they really seemed to add bass depth and resolution to my system, not a bad outcome , so I bought them.

In the last couple of monts I have spent about 2k on upgrading my source (trade in) , speaker cable and some other tweaks - but my system is so much nicer for that investment

In conclusion I still cant be happier with the HD3 its a truly amazing peice of kit

Later this year I will be looking into replacing my interconnect with a MIT cable to try to get a better match with the spectral (which is a MIT cable)

Fand
04-04-2012, 06:15 AM
After a few more weeks with the HD3 I cannot be happier, I love the smooth yet highly resolving nature of the dac. I really hope CJ sell truckloads of these things. I have had a number of good dacs on my system to trial including the Weiss DAC202 and naim dac , but my system has never sounded anywhere near as good as this, also I am finally getting reall indication of how fine an amp the ca200 is.

Fand
07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
6 months in and 500+ hours on the hd3 I am still delighted by the performance of the dac. Wonderfully resolving lush sound is how I characterize it. I've already helped convince someone else to buy one.

There is no question that it needs clean power and good cabling to sound its best but once set up its a real performer. A bit of advice - as the dac digital section is USB bus powered - remove any other device needing power eg external USB drives ( I use an external FireWire drive) - a noticeable improvement.

Masterlu
07-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Fand... Welcome! :wave:

I believe I may have missed greeting you. :o

joeinid
07-01-2012, 06:46 PM
6 months in and 500+ hours on the hd3 I am still delighted by the performance of the dac. Wonderfully resolving lush sound is how I characterize it. I've already helped convince someone else to buy one.

There is no question that it needs clean power and good cabling to sound its best but once set up its a real performer. A bit of advice - as the dac digital section is USB bus powered - remove any other device needing power eg external USB drives ( I use an external FireWire drive) - a noticeable improvement.

Great news Fand! :music:

The HD3 looks like a great dac. I am glad you like it.

Fand
08-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Hi a year on from my last post I thought I'd give an update on my HD3.

I heard a little rumour on the web that CJ may be discontinuing this DAC which is a shame as I truly believe it is a giant killer. Unfortunately limiting it to 96k, no DSD and only one input was a killer in terms of market success. Even so, this simplicity is one of the main reasons why it has such an amazing price/performance ratio in my opinion.

Still very happy, such a musical DAC

A recent speaker upgrade to Martin logan Prodigys (bought for a song at a pawn shop - another story) has really outlined what this DAC can do.

The DAC uses the USB to supply power to the digital stage so recently I have been using a Kingrex U-art USB cable with a Teddy Pardo linear power supply. This provides clean power to the digital stage and isolates the DAC from the dirty power within my MAC Mini. Wow what a difference, the level of improvement in detail and resolution is astounding.

I fully recommend anyone with a USB DAC where power is fed via USB to explore using a Y type USB cable and a separate power supply, preferably linear or a battery.

For a while I trialed a friends Paul Hynes SR7 Power supply, for the Mac mini which also gave significant improvements. I placed an order with with Paul Hynes for a SR7 back in early November and I'm still waiting..........apparently waiting up to a year for delivery is not unusual.

Now to see if Conrad Johnson will ever have an upgrade path, Teflon Caps hmmmm............

masterlogic
09-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Hi Fand,
Have you been able to compare the HD3 to any other DACs besides the Weiss, Metrum, & Naim?

Fand
09-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi master logic

Those three are the only ones I have directly compared. Although I did try a weiss DAC 202 in my system before trying the HD3.

The 202 was great but it didn't quite do it for me.

diwakarv
06-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Bought hd3. Right now ( about 4 hours break in) , appears less detailed than irdac & dragonfly ( I like saber chips ) on mid and especially high. Low is definitely extended by 10 hz. Separation is not as good. I am sure it is too early to report but I thought I will report my journey through it. Another thing, it appears less harsh compared to other two. Will report back in few days

ronenash
06-21-2014, 05:27 PM
If its brand new it will need 400 hours of music playing to strata shining.

diwakarv
06-23-2014, 01:11 AM
If its brand new it will need 400 hours of music playing to strata shining.

It is brand new.

Fand
06-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Give the DAC time. Burn in will see it change character a number of times over the first few hundred hours. Also give it a good usb cable and try to give the source eg. computer, clean power

diwakarv
06-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your comments Fand. I am using Kimber USB AG silver. What do you use to give clean power to source ?

Fand
06-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi diwakarv If you are running a mac like me I.e 2009 mini. I use a Paul Hynes linear power supply. He is the best but you end up waiting a year. Otherwise there are plenty other brands. Eg keces, teddy pardo etc. may I suggest checking out computer audiophile. Almost anything you need to know you find there.

diwakarv
07-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Hi diwakarv If you are running a mac like me I.e 2009 mini. I use a Paul Hynes linear power supply. He is the best but you end up waiting a year. Otherwise there are plenty other brands. Eg keces, teddy pardo etc. may I suggest checking out computer audiophile. Almost anything you need to know you find there.

Thanks Fand for the reply.
I tried IFI and it makes base enhanced but suppressed dynamics. I am not sure if the sixth order filter is affecting signal and it's harmonics too. I tried "power " only output too but it is not making difference. It is surely going back. I will check computer audiophile. Thanks again.

diwakarv
08-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi Fand,
I am very happy with HD3 USB. Thanks for your suggestions.
Which route gave you more improvements :
a) Supplying Alternate DC ( through SR3 or Pedro ) to DAC through Y cable.
OR
b) Providing clean supply ( like SR7) to mac mini.

I am using macbook air.
Thanks

Fand
08-23-2014, 03:20 AM
Hi Fand, I am very happy with HD3 USB. Thanks for your suggestions. Which route gave you more improvements : a) Supplying Alternate DC ( through SR3 or Pedro ) to DAC through Y cable. OR b) Providing clean supply ( like SR7) to mac mini. I am using macbook air. Thanks

Hi diwakarv

For a while I was using a y type kingrex usb cable with a separate power supply (teddy pardo) and the paul hynes sr7 powering the Mac mini.

Then as an experiment I tried just using a single usb cable from the Mac mini and it sounded better. Much more bass andclearer midrange. So that is what I am doing. The really high quality power supply for the Mac mini is clearly the key to this. And a really high quality usb cable