PDA

View Full Version : Conrad-Johnson CDP

Rafale
09-22-2011, 07:03 PM
c-j showed at CES 2008 a pre-production sample of a CD/SACD player with a valve analog section, does anybody know what it is happened to this product?

http://www.audiofreaks.co.uk/images/2008-01-Picture-018.jpg

joeinid
09-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Philippe,

Looks nice. I hope they introduce it.

Joe

Coppy
09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
c-j showed at CES 2008 a pre-production sample of a CD/SACD player with a valve analog section, does anybody know what it is happened to this product?

http://www.audiofreaks.co.uk/images/2008-01-Picture-018.jpg

Philippe,

Think they decided not to move forward with it. It may have conflicted with a McCormick product as well. I'll make a couple of calls to get more on the subject for you.

Bob

Puma Cat
09-23-2011, 12:07 AM
I think you're right, Bob.

Love the looks, though, it looks like my CT-5 or an ET-2. Like Rafale, I love the sculpted "H" look of the CT-5, ET-2, and LP-series power amps from that period (70, 140, 275 and ET250S).

Rafale
09-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Philippe,

Think they decided not to move forward with it. It may have conflicted with a McCormick product as well. I'll make a couple of calls to get more on the subject for you.

Bob

Thanks Bob :thumbsup:

Rafale
09-23-2011, 06:23 AM
The decline of the CD sales has can be incited c-j to be careful.....It also seems that they think about the launch of their USB DAC which was planned in 2011

from the UK importer Jan 2011
''The other new product cjd showed us at this CES, was their first entry into the USB DAC arena. The new HD3 USB d/a processor (retail price to be £1,500 inc VAT) has been demonstrated during the show and quickly pointed at its very high potential in processing streams of high resolution data stored on its host. HD3 has a valve analogue (output) stage, which, of course, enables the product to retain all the classic trademarks of the exceptionally musical conrad-johnson sound. First deliveries of the HD3 are expected towards the end of March 2011''

Coppy
09-23-2011, 12:11 PM
I think we may see that product integrated into or easily connected to a music server with internet download capability.

Puma Cat
09-23-2011, 01:05 PM
The DAC section of the C-J USB hd3 DAC is designed by Eric Halvorson of High Resolution Technologies, the creator and designer of the highly regarded Music Streamer series of DACs. C-J then used it's expertise to design a first-class tube based analog section of the DAC. Putting those two core competencies together, I would guess that it's an excellent-performing and sounding DAC. I know Lew Johnson is personally getting into music servers and DACs, so this looks like their foray into that area, which is why this is USB based DAC.

Rafale
09-23-2011, 03:38 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiPlp5tqWqf-Zvd-r5YEjDa7UjeXUeY2vVZjJqtoVGgi3PZU1ezw

Puma Cat
09-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Philippe, do you have one on loan?

-Stephen

Rafale
09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
No Stephen... it is not imported in EU to my knowledge, but maybe it is available in the United States?

Puma Cat
09-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Spearit Sound has it for sale, apparently, Philippe.

Rafale
09-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Stephen.... I do not indeed understand the status of Spearit in the distribution of cj in the United States, they seem to benefit from certain privileges, little as the importer in my country , we see clearly that is have exclusivities and previews, I am curious to know what is the exact link with the factory?

Coppy
09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Philippe,

CJD appoints US dealers in non-competing territories and expects then to honor other dealers. Thus, they do not allow dealers to sell new products over the internet. Everything you see Spearit selling on the net is not current production. They seem to have found a niche selling reconditioned older model year or discontinued products.

Bob

Rafale
09-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Bob, it is strange.... they have for sale brand new Classic sixty, ET5, ET3, see the link
conrad johnson (http://www.spearitsound.com/cj/conrad_johnson_home.htm)

Coppy
09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Hmm... that's the way it used to work. CJD doesn't have a full time sales manager any longer so maybe the distribution process has broken down a bit. I could call them and see if they would sell me new product down here in another dealer's area.
In the US often a a product dealer (Wilson, etc.) will advertise product on the net , but not sell unless there is no local representative in the customers area. There are big saving available to customers buying from out of state as you can save your state's sales tax. Years ago I bought a pair of new Wilson Watt-Puppy 7s from a dealer in Wilmington, DE and saved 6% sales tax plus a discount. The dealer did that so often into his next door New York City area that he lost the Wilson franchise as the New York and New Jersey dealers complained. Spearit does seem to have a unique relationship with CJD for refurbished equipment sold with new warranties. I imagine they take in late model trades, send them to CJD for refurbishment and re-sell with warranty. Makes a good secondary market for products... I've seen some Wilson dealers do the same here.

joeinid
09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Bob, it is strange.... they have for sale brand new Classic sixty, ET5, ET3, see the link
conrad johnson (http://www.spearitsound.com/cj/conrad_johnson_home.htm)

They even have the new Classic Sixty SE (which I have my eye on). As far as I know they must be pretty new designs.

"Conrad-Johnson also offers a Special Edition of the Classic Sixty amplifier, the Classic Sixty SE. The basic circuitry remain the same, but the sonics benefit from strategic parts upgrades. Specifically, series resistors in the are replaced with Vishay metal-foil resistors, and polypropylene by-pass capacitors (on the output coupling capacitors and regulated power supply capacitors) are replaced with CJD Teflon capacitors. Owners of the standard versions can also have the upgrades performed on their units."

rthomeint
09-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Hello all,

I thought I would chime in this is my first post on this forum. Spearit Sound is not the only one who has the new usb dac, I heard it on Labor day at Superior Audio Systems in Chicago. I brought a hard drive with music files in various formats. I was quit impressed even though it had on have a few days of burn in time. It played everything we tried even 24 bit 192k files. I was told it was about two week for delivery if I order one.

Puma Cat
09-26-2011, 11:03 PM
It's not all that mysterious really. Spearit offers new products for sale to customers in their specified geography that are advertised on their web site. You can buy new products from them if you are in their geographical area of coverage. My guess is if you want a new product and have a dealer in your area, they will advise you that you have to buy from your local area dealer/representative.

Used gear is a different matter. Spearit can sell used or discontinued gear to anyone. They seem to have a very close relationship with C-J where they either buy unsold or recently discontinued stock, or they take used stock in trade, and have it refurbished by C-J to as new factory specs. As a result of this relationship, they often have stock of recently new but discontinued gear that they sell with a C-J warrenty. I know the same situation exists for Dynaudio, where there a few select dealers that they allow to sell used or discontinuted gear to buyers outside of their geographically-defined new product sales "segments".

Masterlu
09-26-2011, 11:26 PM
rthomeint... Welcome! :wave:

Rafale
09-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Hello all,

I thought I would chime in this is my first post on this forum. Spearit Sound is not the only one who has the new usb dac, I heard it on Labor day at Superior Audio Systems in Chicago. I brought a hard drive with music files in various formats. I was quit impressed even though it had on have a few days of burn in time. It played everything we tried even 24 bit 192k files. I was told it was about two week for delivery if I order one.

Hello rthomeint and thanks for sharing

joeinid
09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Hello rthomeint and thanks for sharing

:wave:

+1

Joe

jimtranr
09-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello all,

I thought I would chime in this is my first post on this forum.

Welcome aboard, rthomeint.

jwhite613
09-27-2011, 12:42 PM
rthomeint... Welcome to AA!!!

:welcome2.:

rthomeint
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the welcome. As a long time owner of CJ gear it's good to find a place with like minded folks. I am trying arrange a time next week when I can audition the usb dac at home.