PDA

View Full Version : Conrad Johnson PV14L versus PV14L S2

jaxwired
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Just thought I'd post this for anyone interested. I couldn't find this info on the net...

From Conrad Johnson:

The Series 2 upgrade consists of: one 20 uF/600V cap added; six resistors
replaced by Vishay resistors; four diodes replaced by RHRD460 diodes; 6C4 tubes are replaced by Mullard 8080s. Sonic improvements are
to resolution of detail; dynamics, and sound stage. Price is $600.00.

The Series 2 does not have Teflon caps, as it predates our use of
those. However, we do offer a Teflon upgrade for the PV14. Price is $800.00. It consists of seven .15 uF/525V caps, and two Vishay resistors.

We would do the Teflon upgrade only to a Series 2 PV-14. We will devise
a combination price for the two upgrades done together; I should be able to send that price in a day or two. Add a few $$ for return shipping.

Rafale
09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
helpful, thanks for sharing Jax

Rafale
09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
M8080 were also used by CJ in the ET2 and the PV15, these tubes are not of the easiest to find...

jaxwired
09-22-2011, 10:11 PM
M8080 were also used by CJ in the ET2 and the PV15, these tubes are not of the easiest to find...

I have 2 extra sets. :D

joeinid
09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
I am sure C-J must have sufficient quantity on hand.

Puma Cat
09-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Yes, I am sure of that, also.

Rafale
09-23-2011, 04:03 AM
M8080 is difficult to find in EU because very probably c-j bought them all from Mullard:D

oldominion
10-19-2011, 08:54 AM
All,

Am new here and am excited to have found this group of CJ fans.

I upgraded the 6c4 tube to the 8080 last year in my pv14 (which I think is a S2, will have to double-check) and the difference was, frankly, minimal...A tiny bit more air, perhaps. I've got it paired with an mv60se with the original SED 6550's, Crimson cabling and Gallo 3.1s. Every so often I'll wonder about replacing the Gallos but for the most part this is a nice setup.

I also think about selling my pv14L and Avid phono stage and putting what I make towards a CJ preamp with built in phono stage, but I'm frustrated by the lack of information about CJ phono stages. Sure, the EV1 and TEA stages get a little bit of ink, but it is, for the most part, quite difficult to find detailed reports about (used) CJ pre's with built in phono stages. I'm thinking mostly of the ET2 or PV15 but would consider any pre made after the pv14...

The Avid Pulsus is a brilliant product and if I stick with it I'll be happy...But I'm also thinking about fewer cables, fewer power outlets, fewer and more consolidated everything.

ANyhow, I look forward to reading your responses.

jimtranr
10-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Welcome, oldominion. Since I use a separate phono stage with my Premier 17LS, I'm afraid I can't give you any help with your question. But it's good to have you aboard.

Jim

Rafale
10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Hello and welcome Oldominion
Here is what what is said about the ET3's phonostage in HIFI+ 2010 awards issue :
A word about the phonostage too, and the word is ' fantastic '. You are really going to have to fork out some serious coinage to replicate - let alone eclipse - the performance of the ET3's turntable section.

oldominion
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the responses and the kind welcome!

Yep, I've seen those reviews as well. I suppose I'm curious why there are not more accounts of CJ phono stages. Even my local hifi dealer, a longtime CJ dealer and a fellow who knows Lew and Bill, cannot tell me much about the CJ phono stages! He stocks the ET3 and a couple new amps but says he hasn't stocked phono stages in decades...I find all of this strange, ergo my search for people who actually own them and would like to tell me more.

I really do love my Avid Pulsus but would sell it in a heartbeat if I thought a built-in CJ phono stage would best it.

Rafale
10-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Coppy owns a TEA-1 and Turntable a EV-1, you can seek their opinion....
I do not know if somebody here uses one built-in CJ phono stage
good luck

jwhite613
10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
oldominion... Welcome to AA!!!!

:welcome2.:

joeinid
10-21-2011, 12:20 AM
oldominion... Welcome to AA!!!!

:welcome2.:

+1

Joe

Puma Cat
10-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the responses and the kind welcome!

Yep, I've seen those reviews as well. I suppose I'm curious why there are not more accounts of CJ phono stages. Even my local hifi dealer, a longtime CJ dealer and a fellow who knows Lew and Bill, cannot tell me much about the CJ phono stages! He stocks the ET3 and a couple new amps but says he hasn't stocked phono stages in decades...I find all of this strange, ergo my search for people who actually own them and would like to tell me more.

I really do love my Avid Pulsus but would sell it in a heartbeat if I thought a built-in CJ phono stage would best it.

C-J makes excellent phono stages, both external components as well as those that are capable of being installed in certain preamps. The PV15 was supposed to have a really excellent phono stage, as is the ET3 and ET3SE are said to be excellent as well.

The most famous phono stage C-J made is the Premier 15, which is still available used from time to time and very highly regarded, and still commands a pretty penny. I'm sure the TEA-1 and TEA-2 are excellent.

Turntable can comment on the EV-1.

Whether or not they are better than your Avid is only determinable by direct comparison.

Coppy
10-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Regarding CJD phono stages, I'll look around and see if there isn't a review or two in my back issues of HiFi Plus, the British audio mag. now owned by TAS. You might check the net at TAS, Stereophile and at ToneAudio, the online mag that has done a number of CJD equipment reviews. Of course, my TEA1bc is excellent and on a well recorded LP (Ref Rec.'s Stravinsky, for example) provides the best sound from my system. Better than the best SACDs. And, that's with the relatively modest Ortonfon Kontraplunt B cartridge. My previous phono stage I bought re-mfg. It was the old CJD EF-1 from many years ago, and :thumbsup:was so good the Mr. Johnson himself bought it back from me to use at his vacation home. And yes, the "F" is for field effect... a transistor phono stage.

Rafale
10-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Regarding CJD phono stages, I'll look around and see if there isn't a review or two in my back issues of HiFi Plus, the British audio mag. now owned by TAS. You might check the net at TAS, Stereophile and at ToneAudio, the online mag that has done a number of CJD equipment reviews. Of course, my TEA1bc is excellent and on a well recorded LP (Ref Rec.'s Stravinsky, for example) provides the best sound from my system. Better than the best SACDs. And, that's with the relatively modest Ortonfon Kontraplunt B cartridge. My previous phono stage I bought re-mfg. It was the old CJD EF-1 from many years ago, and :thumbsup:was so good the Mr. Johnson himself bought it back from me to use at his vacation home. And yes, the "F" is for field effect... a transistor phono stage.

thanks Coppy....:thumbsup::tresbon:

Puma Cat
10-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Hmmm....there's a C-J EF-1 for sale at my local dealer. Been there quite a while. I think I could get it for less than a grand.

Rafale
10-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Stephen.....grab the bargain and let us know how you like it, imho nothing to loose...

Rafale
10-21-2011, 02:44 PM
In term of musicality cj phonostage are afraid of nothing, even that of the PV10 is remarkable ...