PDA

View Full Version : It sounds like my ET5 does not like my PS Audio PPP ....

joeinid
09-18-2011, 03:29 AM
I had a little low level grunge, like a hum with varying degrees of loudness depending on what amp I used with my ET5. I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on and realize today the common denominator has been the PS Audio PPP. Since my PurePower 2000 has been out for updates, I popped in a PPP and I guess that's when my issues started. Since I was running the ET5 with the amps off when I was away and at a decent level when I was home, I never really noticed the hum/grunge until a few days ago when it seemed to be getting more annoying or noticeable. I take out the PPP, leave my Humbuster III in and sure enough, much more quiet background :music: with a lot less the hum/grunge. I am curious now when the PurePower 2000 comes back, what will I experience with it and the current system config. So, the moral of the story, don't always assume "power conditioning" is always better. :no: Sometimes less is more :thumbsup:

Rafale
09-18-2011, 04:50 AM
thanks for sharing Joe, very interesting story, maybe that one day I shall have to try Pure Power but I have never had problems of background noise with my CJ, safe in case of defective or not adapted tube

Rafale
09-18-2011, 04:54 AM
sorry, wrong translation, '' excepted in case of defective tube ''

joeinid
09-18-2011, 04:57 AM
sorry, wrong translation, '' excepted in case of defective tube ''

I knew what you meant. I will be getting a new tube from C-J hopefully next week and I will see if the level of noise/hiss changes.

joeinid
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
After some more experimentation, it's NOT my equipment and it's NOT power conditioning like the PPP. I must have some bad AC lines and I am going to have to bite the bullet and finally get an electrician. I think some of my equipment runs warm and noisy because of my AC. I moved a tube amp from my usual receptacle to another one and it runs way cooler and less noisy (not perfect, but a lot better).

Masterlu
09-18-2011, 08:12 PM
After some more experimentation, it's NOT my equipment and it's NOT power conditioning like the PPP. I must have some bad AC lines and I am going to have to bite the bullet and finally get an electrician. I think some of my equipment runs warm and noisy because of my AC. I moved a tube amp from my usual receptacle to another one and it runs way cooler and less noisy (not perfect, but a lot better). On the original outlet, I could barely touch the transformer. Not good, I know.

Get that checked Joe, it may not be safe. :sigh:

IM3CPO
09-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Joeinid,

I have been down a similar path as your description. I will spare you the "long" version and keep things to the point. I have a number of systems throughout the house and had traditionally used various forms of power products ranging from passive conditioners, power regenerators, as well as dedicated circuits. Brands were Monster, PS Audio, as well as Furman.

The *ONLY* long term solution to the issues you are describing are PurePowers' regenerators. Not sure if you have messed around with the potentiometer hidden behind the front grill, but it could be what you need to play with to eliminate the "hum" you are experiencing (if you still hear it when your unit comes back).

I now own SEVEN PurePower units throughout the house and it was a VERY wise investment. I talked to Damien's father from Purepower a few weeks ago and he mentioned an update they are currently testing. The mod is essentially a fix for hum induced into an amp's transformer that is either outside the range of the pot behind the front grill or when you have multiple amps attached to the same purepower and using the pot to correct hum in one induces hum in another amp. I am going to send one of my units in to get it modified and test things out.

Dedicated circuits will definitely get you marketed improvements, but the regeneration capability of the purepower products simply cant be beat, especially at its pricepoint.

joeinid
09-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Ivan,

Yes, it a top priority now. Ignorance can be bliss, but dangerous :(

IM3CPO,

Thanks for the info. I have one PurePower coming back from updates but I need to clear up the underlying problem. The house is 60 years old and needs some updates. I love and miss my unit but I think it was good to be without it because it made me realize what was really going on with the AC.

Thanks!

Joe

joeinid
09-22-2011, 04:59 AM
My ET5 may not like my PS Audio PPP but it LOVES my PurePower 2000. Well, I've isolated the problem to a noisy, possibly noisy tube. I hook up my PurePower and everything is well except when I put the tube amp back in the chain. It was strange, I was getting some noise on anything tubed with the PPP, but with the PurePower the ET5 is quiet (and sounds great) and the tube amp is making noise. More experimentation is in order.

Rayooo
09-22-2011, 10:05 AM
good luck with this! I've been through this on a few occasions myself. Most recently one of the two Cary Monoblocks had a very very slightly higher level of hum than the other. The hum was only present when connected to the ET5.

I experimented a bit, different outlets, different positions etc. etc. no doubt that one Cary Monoblocks exhibited more hum than the 2nd identical amp when connected to my ET5. I should point out that my conclusion was that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the Cary amp, one of the two just had a very slight leakage current through the RCA shield to the ET5.

joeinid
09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks Rayooo,

If I had never started with the Cornwalls, I may never have thought either something was wrong or just different. I ran everything all night, so far so good, PurePower makes great stuff.