AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 AM
unitycoupled's Avatar
Mid field maven
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 193
Default

I don't have any plans at the moment, but have plenty of reasons to go - two brothers, nieces & nephews, loads of friends. Would love to come and visit next time I come over. Probably late this year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
unitycoupled... are you planning on visiting the Islands soon?
Reply With Quote
  #142 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 AM
'cisco's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 808/415
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitycoupled View Post
I don't have any plans at the moment, but have plenty of reasons to go - two brothers, nieces & nephews, loads of friends. Would love to come and visit next time I come over. Probably late this year...
unitycoupled.... Would love to have you visit also and since your a Microsoft expert....maybe, if time permits..... you can bring over your laptop and help me with my FW upgrade? I would hate to "brick" this beauty and ship this back to the mainland.

I'm not even sure if my 5-6 year old HP small form factor can handle this upgrade....will see what develops. Please keep me in mind later this year.

Last edited by 'cisco; 05-25-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: gram
Reply With Quote
  #143 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
unitycoupled.... Would love to have you visit also and since your a Microsoft expert....maybe, if time permits..... you can bring over your laptop and help me with my FW upgrade? I would hate to "brick" this beauty and ship this back to the mainland.

I'm not even sure if my 5-6 year old HP small form factor can handle this upgrade....will see what develops. Please keep me in mind later this year.
Lavon,

I will be in the neighborhood mid July
Reply With Quote
  #144 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 AM
'cisco's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 808/415
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteam702 View Post
Lavon,

I will be in the neighborhood mid July
Let's get together and bring your laptop with ya.
Reply With Quote
  #145 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2012, 03:40 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
Let's get together and bring your laptop with ya.
Will do
Reply With Quote
  #146 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 31
Default Final Chapter

As before I updated the main software on the C50 not too bad. Followed directions. Trouble started when I tried to do the USB part, used the same cable, computer etc. No Joy. Restarted, unplugged, tried 2 other XP machines, 1 Vista machine and 1 Windows 7 ( many different USB cables )also NOJoy.

As a last chance I was going to try the exact machine I am typing this on. One loaded with a lot of extra software running. It was across the room. About 30' away. I took 2 USB hubs ( one with external power, one bus powered ) with long cables. Daisey chained them for a distance of about 30'. The computer saw the C50. So what was the worst that could happen..... I started the update, instead of the quick error message it started the update. Then to my surprise a window popped up with "Device Firmware updated successfully" I still have the little window on my second monitor and look at it in between typing this.

I restarted the C50 and now it shows 2.00 / 2.10 and everything works.

I was told by others ( tech support types ) that shortly McIntosh will have a real update out to address the difficulty some have had with the update.
Reply With Quote
  #147 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 31
Default Update

Everything still working ... sounding good.
Observation... Don't kmow if this existed before or not but.... While listening using the optical input the computer I have connected to the USB port decided to freeze so I had to do a hard reset. When I did ( on the computer ) I lost sound on the optical input. To regain I had to switch the input off the optical then back and sound returned.
Can someone who has not done the upgrade check this out ?

Thank You
Reply With Quote
  #148 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Sully's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Endwell, NY
Posts: 131
Default Oddities

I've had a couple odd things happen with mine since the update...
After listening to music thru the USB input most of the day, I switched to the AUX input (digital optical) to listen & watch a DVD last night.
ALL configured digital inputs (2 opticals) played the input from the USB.
The C48 had to be power cycled to get the DVD input to be recognized & play correctly.
This also happened last week...anyone else experience this?
__________________
"If music be the food of love, play on"
Reply With Quote
  #149 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 40
Unhappy No Joy Taking My C48 Back to Dealer

I took my C48 back to the dealer to have them install the update, and they ran into the same problems reported by Whatever (V2.00 main firmware update installed, but V2.10 USB update won't install). When I talked to the programmer, there were no special instructions or procedures from McIntosh other than the ReadMe.pdf that came with the firmware. So not sure why McIntosh are sending customers, preamp in hand, back to dealers only to have them experience the same issues.

They will contact McIntosh tech support today, but I suspect I may be without a preamp for a few days . Maybe I should take it home and try myself.
Reply With Quote
  #150 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
HiFiGuy528's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou-- View Post
I took my C48 back to the dealer to have them install the update, and they ran into the same problems reported by Whatever (V2.00 main firmware update installed, but V2.10 USB update won't install). When I talked to the programmer, there were no special instructions or procedures from McIntosh other than the ReadMe.pdf that came with the firmware. So not sure why McIntosh are sending customers, preamp in hand, back to dealers only to have them experience the same issues.

They will contact McIntosh tech support today, but I suspect I may be without a preamp for a few days . Maybe I should take it home and try myself.
sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. My C50 is still in the shop. Three weeks and counting.
__________________
**** Formerly Dj_AmTraX *****
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
US iTunes, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright 2009-2014 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
VPI Industries
VPI Industries
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Sound Anchors
Sound Anchors
Acoustic Sounds Inc
Acoustic Sounds Inc
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
Steve Blinn Designs
Steve Blinn Designs
Krell
Krell
Wyred 4 Sound
Wyred 4 Sound
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
TAD Labs
TAD Labs
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Aerial Acoustics
Aerial Acoustics
Accuphase
Accuphase
Aluminati Sound
Aluminati Sound
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Delicious Decibels
Delicious Decibels