AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
PHC1's Avatar
It's not just the music!


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 12,062
Default Ayre C-5xeMP

I finally got a chance to pick up and evaluate the C-5xeMP in my system. Too early to talk about results since I just added it to my system today but the initial impression is that it is a very impressive player with great amount of air and resolution and the MP filter seems to take away quite a bit of the "digital edge". My dealer needed one for stock as a demo anyways so he gave me a choice of color in case I wanted to keep it. To keep things in the same family with the rest of my gear, I ordered it in black for an up-charge in price. Maybe it's just me but it looks stunningly good in black finish. Pictures do not do it justice.

For those not familiar with the new MP digital filter, this makes for some interesting reading. http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf


Here are some quick shots of this CDP.




__________________
System 7.1:
Wilson Alexia/Mezzo/Watch surrounds
D'Agostino Momentum x3 amps
Bryston 4B SST2 x2 amps
Krell S1200U pre/pro
Oppo Blu
Sony Blu changer
McIntosh MS300 music server
EAR/Yoshino Acute III tubed CDP
Transparent Ultra cabling
JL Audio F212 Sub
Lumagen video processor
JVC RS-35U projector
Stewart Screen
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Still-One's Avatar
It is turned down!!!!


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Milford, MI
Posts: 22,908
Default

Looking forward to your impressions of the unit with the few filters. I had the original unit for a couple of weeks to compare to my Esoteric X03-se and it did not fare too well. I have read that the new unit is supposed to be a lot better. As you know I do like Ayre's gear.
__________________
Jim

AMP's: Momentum's
Pre-amp: Ayre KX-R
Digital: Meridian 808v3 & Meridian MC200 (SooLoos)
Analog:SME 20/3 , Audio Research PH 8
Speakers: Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2
Cables: Transparent Opus SC, Reference MM2 Interconnects & Powerlink MM2x Power
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
salmtpa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I finally got a chance to pick up and evaluate the C-5xeMP in my system. Too early to talk about results since I just added it to my system today but the initial impression is that it is a very impressive player with great amount of air and resolution and the MP filter seems to take away quite a bit of the "digital edge". My dealer needed one for stock as a demo anyways so he gave me a choice of color in case I wanted to keep it. To keep things in the same family with the rest of my gear, I ordered it in black for an up-charge in price. Maybe it's just me but it looks stunningly good in black finish. Pictures do not do it justice.

For those not familiar with the new MP digital filter, this makes for some interesting reading. http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf


Here are some quick shots of this CDP.




Serge,
How the heck are ya! I've had a chance to listen to the C5xe-MP at my dealer over the last feww weeknds. The system was nice-MC402, ARC LS26 and Sophia2 speakers. The amplification is what I have at home. Alas, the Sophia's are still a wet dream. I also have listened to the same CDP extensively at the dealer over the last few years and have always been impressed. The new MP filter certainly seems to open things up and provide a detailed but smooth presentation. Bottom line is that VERY good CDP just got even better. As soon as they get a demo of the CX7 with MP filter in house I'm all over that for a listening session too. The minimum phase filters also seem to be the latest trend, Meridian and PS Audio are just two others that come right to mind implementing them.

Let me know what you think of the C5xe remote. I find it to be a little picky at times and not overly fast in response time. And when will all the digital manufacturers start supplying digital inputs so users can take advantage of the CDP DAC??? I think Mac and Wadia are the only ones currently doing that, no?
__________________
MC402, AudioResearch LS26, Magnepan MG3.7R, PS AudioDLIII, ACI Force XL, Transparent, Wireworld, Tara
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM
PHC1's Avatar
It's not just the music!


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 12,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
Serge,
How the heck are ya! I've had a chance to listen to the C5xe-MP at my dealer over the last feww weeknds. The system was nice-MC402, ARC LS26 and Sophia2 speakers. The amplification is what I have at home. Alas, the Sophia's are still a wet dream. I also have listened to the same CDP extensively at the dealer over the last few years and have always been impressed. The new MP filter certainly seems to open things up and provide a detailed but smooth presentation. Bottom line is that VERY good CDP just got even better. As soon as they get a demo of the CX7 with MP filter in house I'm all over that for a listening session too. The minimum phase filters also seem to be the latest trend, Meridian and PS Audio are just two others that come right to mind implementing them.

Let me know what you think of the C5xe remote. I find it to be a little picky at times and not overly fast in response time. And when will all the digital manufacturers start supplying digital inputs so users can take advantage of the CDP DAC??? I think Mac and Wadia are the only ones currently doing that, no?
Hi Salm,

Funny you mentioned the Sophia 2s. I have a pair I will be playing with at home in a week or so. My dealer tried to talk me into a pair of Maxx3s for a great price but I just don't think my current room will do them justice so I will try the Maxx3 later in a bigger room.

Agreed on the digital inputs, should have been designed into it. I wasn't going to get rid of my MDA1000 anyways, I can use the 7 digital inputs for various things in the future.

I've read the Meridian review in Stereophile but it seems that Ayre went one step further and got rid of the post-ringing while Meridian still seems to have that bit of "overshoot" and post ringing judging from the stereophile measurements.
__________________
System 7.1:
Wilson Alexia/Mezzo/Watch surrounds
D'Agostino Momentum x3 amps
Bryston 4B SST2 x2 amps
Krell S1200U pre/pro
Oppo Blu
Sony Blu changer
McIntosh MS300 music server
EAR/Yoshino Acute III tubed CDP
Transparent Ultra cabling
JL Audio F212 Sub
Lumagen video processor
JVC RS-35U projector
Stewart Screen
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
salmtpa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 419
Default

Correct, Ayre does their traditional early roll off (similar to what Wadia does) in addition to the MP filter. I'm hoping S'phile does another review of the C5xe with the new filter and shows some measured data. As far as the Sophias, they're such a stretch for me budget-wise, but I'm torn between saving for them or saving for the parts and pieces to put together a server system. The question I keep asking myself is "are the Sophia's worth 4 times what I paid for my Maggies?", objectively, no. Yet I find myself sitting down for extended listening every time I go in to visit my dealer!
__________________
MC402, AudioResearch LS26, Magnepan MG3.7R, PS AudioDLIII, ACI Force XL, Transparent, Wireworld, Tara
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
PHC1's Avatar
It's not just the music!


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 12,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
Correct, Ayre does their traditional early roll off (similar to what Wadia does) in addition to the MP filter. I'm hoping S'phile does another review of the C5xe with the new filter and shows some measured data. As far as the Sophias, they're such a stretch for me budget-wise, but I'm torn between saving for them or saving for the parts and pieces to put together a server system. The question I keep asking myself is "are the Sophia's worth 4 times what I paid for my Maggies?", objectively, no. Yet I find myself sitting down for extended listening every time I go in to visit my dealer!
I've spent some time with the Krell Evo 505 CDP and Evo 707 preamp in the past few months. I can already tell the Ayre C-5 is much more musical and about as good with all the other hi-fi tricks that Krell is notorious for.

I still have the Ayre KX-R preamp in my system and together they are very, very impressive indeed. But I guess I should really let the C-5 break in some more before I go on yapping about it.
__________________
System 7.1:
Wilson Alexia/Mezzo/Watch surrounds
D'Agostino Momentum x3 amps
Bryston 4B SST2 x2 amps
Krell S1200U pre/pro
Oppo Blu
Sony Blu changer
McIntosh MS300 music server
EAR/Yoshino Acute III tubed CDP
Transparent Ultra cabling
JL Audio F212 Sub
Lumagen video processor
JVC RS-35U projector
Stewart Screen
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
salmtpa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 419
Default

Is the one have totally new or an MP-upgrade? From what my dealer told me the MP filter is implemented in software only, so if the player has been used for a while in the showroom you should immediately notice the MP difference.
__________________
MC402, AudioResearch LS26, Magnepan MG3.7R, PS AudioDLIII, ACI Force XL, Transparent, Wireworld, Tara
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 AM
1KW's Avatar
1KW 1KW is online now
Founding Member's Club

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 5,543
Default

Serge,

You have a severe case of the lu flu. I can't keep up with your flavor of the day Maybe instead of buying anything, just keep bringing home different demo's, this way you will have the latest greatest for free Seriously I am looking forward to your review of you new CDP. David
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
PHC1's Avatar
It's not just the music!


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 12,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
Is the one have totally new or an MP-upgrade? From what my dealer told me the MP filter is implemented in software only, so if the player has been used for a while in the showroom you should immediately notice the MP difference.
It is new. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to build it because of the black color.
__________________
System 7.1:
Wilson Alexia/Mezzo/Watch surrounds
D'Agostino Momentum x3 amps
Bryston 4B SST2 x2 amps
Krell S1200U pre/pro
Oppo Blu
Sony Blu changer
McIntosh MS300 music server
EAR/Yoshino Acute III tubed CDP
Transparent Ultra cabling
JL Audio F212 Sub
Lumagen video processor
JVC RS-35U projector
Stewart Screen
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 PM
markc2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pflugerville TX
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Looking forward to your impressions of the unit with the few filters. I had the original unit for a couple of weeks to compare to my Esoteric X03-se and it did not fare too well. I have read that the new unit is supposed to be a lot better. As you know I do like Ayre's gear.
What was different, I heard the DV-60, but not the X03-se and both Ayre's the 7e and the 5e to me were smoother and yet more dynamic. I'm still trying to figure out how they can have something smooth and dynamic at the same time.

Mark
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
US iTunes, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
ęCopyright 2009-2014 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
VPI Industries
VPI Industries
Sound Earphones
Sound Earphones
Sound Anchors
Sound Anchors
Acoustic Sounds Inc
Acoustic Sounds Inc
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
Steve Blinn Designs
Steve Blinn Designs
Pitch Perfect Audio
Pitch Perfect Audio
Krell
Krell
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Vivid Audio
Vivid Audio
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Aerial Acoustics
Aerial Acoustics
Accuphase
Accuphase
Aluminati Sound
Aluminati Sound
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Delicious Decibels
Delicious Decibels