View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Despite playing a borrowed Hammond B-3 many moons ago, I am a virtual klingon when it comes to tracker organs. My apologies for this rudimental post; I find I tend to remember things better when I write them down.

1. WHAT DOES TRACKER ACTION MEAN?
Tracker action means that all the connections in the organ are mechanical rather than electrical. It is similar to the linkage in a manual typewriter.

2. WHAT ARE TRACKERS?
Trackers are slender rods which connect the keys to the valves under the pipes. ...

3. WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF TRACKER ACTION?
LONGEVITY - While electric and electropneumatic parts have a relatively short life span and often require major overhauling or replacement, tracker parts are designed and made to last for centuries.

TRACKER PARTS ARE NEVER OBSOLETE - Electric components are rapidly changing as technology expands. This makes replacement parts difficult or impossible to find. Tracker parts are always available because they are being made today the way they have been made for centuries.

4. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR THE ORGANIST?
Sensitivity! As soon as you touch a key something happens. It's as if the organ were alive! For the organist this translates into greater variety in articulation and more control of pipe speech.

click logo for source & more...

Another, slightly larger, tracker type organ may be seen at the Sydney Opera House

Quote:
The Sydney Opera House Grand Organ is the world's largest mechanical tracker-action pipe organ by Ronald Sharp, located in the concert hall of Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia.

It is in six divisions, five manuals plus pedals, and is the largest tracker action organ ever built, with 131 speaking stops served by 200 ranks of pipes consisting of 10,154 pipes. It is a baroque organ in style.
This organ is also the 14th largest organ, of any type, in the world

MAIN SYSTEM: . . .Avalon Eidolons and/or Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, STAX SR-404 Signature Electrostatic Headphones, STAX SRM-727 Headphone Amp, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, Graham Nightingale II or Benz Ruby 3 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, OPPO BDP-105D Darbee Universal Player, Esoteric Modified-X03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. VPI DB-5 "magic bricks", ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System

UPSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, Olive 4HD Music Server, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-95 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI DB-5 "magic bricks", VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables,.

. . . . . . . .  photo images-1.jpg

Last edited by AudioNut; 04-10-2012 at 06:42 AM.